Indigo Renovating Six Key Stores
Indigo is renovating and "reinvigorating" six "key store locations" in three provinces, making changes that include the addition of "thousands" of book titles; more retail space devoted to home décor, gift, paper, fashion and gourmet; expanded and redesigned IndigoKids departments; and four more American Girl specialty boutiques, which are 1,400-1,800 square feet in size. The transformed stores that are currently Chapters stores will be rebranded Indigo.
The affected stores are:
- Indigo Yorkdale, Toronto, Ont., whose book selection will be significantly increased. The store should open June 5.
- Chapters Granville, Vancouver, B.C., which will be rebranded Indigo and open June 13. Its book and general merchandise sections will be renovated, with an increase in book titles, and an American Girl boutique will be added.
- Indigo Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto, Ont., whose book and general merchandise sections will be renovated. An American Girl boutique will be added, the book selection will be increased and the store should open July 4.
- Chapters West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, Alberta, which will have an additional 5,500 square feet of space devoted to books and general merchandise. An American Girl boutique will be added. Rebranded Indigo, the store should open in the fall of 2015.
- Chapters Chinook, Calgary, Alberta, which will have an additional 5,500 square feet of revitalized and renovated space for books, Indigo Kids and general merchandise. The store will have a new American Girl boutique, be rebranded Indigo and should open in the fall of 2015.
- Chapters Dalhousie, Calgary, Alberta, which will have revitalized and renovated books and general merchandise areas. The store will be rebranded Indigo and should open in the fall of 2015.
Last week Indigo CEO Heather Reisman told BloombergBusiness that the company has been working on a "cultural department store model" for Indigo and she hopes to expand to the U.S.