Shelf Awareness was born out of a need to provide a range of people in the industry--booksellers, librarians, book buyers at nontraditional stores, members of the media, marketers, salespeople, publishers and others--with essential information for their businesses, including news about titles coming out now, titles getting buzz in the media, authors on major shows, movie tie-ins, sleepers, news about the business, tips on how to sell, etc. We publish daily--first thing in the morning. Click here to sign up!
- New Co-Owner for E. Shaver, Bookseller, Savannah, Ga.
- U.K. Indie Numbers Down, but Signs of Strength
- Amazon May Test Drones in U.K.; E.U. Probe Underway
- Obituary Note: Tomas Transtromer
- Image of the Day: Advice from Skip Horack
- 'Bookstore Pets of Northern California'
- Cool Idea of the Day: Ferguson Alternative Spring Break
- Book Trailer of the Day: Rescue at Los Baños
- TV: Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies
- Media Heat: Kevin Kruse on Fresh Air
- Movies: The BFG; The Billionaire's Vinegar
- Awards: Bancroft; Waterstones Children's Book; Oddest Book Title
- Review: Recipes for a Beautiful Life: A Memoir in Stories
Quote of the Day
'Amazon's Dominance Is Causing Problems'
"I do have a concern that Amazon's dominance is causing problems. We estimate Kindle has a 95% market share of e-book sales in the U.K. and this is having a damaging effect.... Consider the struggles of Barnes & Noble and the Nook platform, the problems of the established Txtr in Germany, and the decision here of Tesco to pull out of Blinkbox Books.... I think publishing can come in for quite a bit of stick but we've done a lot to embrace technology."